Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Calvin

I know that blog readers are often inundated with requests for prayer about special situations concerning people they don't know and will probably never meet. I know because I'm one of those blog readers. I eventually had to start tuning most of it out, because it was just too much for me to handle -- taking on the burdens of strangers when I should be busy praying for those people I actually know. I believe God puts people in our spheres of living for this exact reason; we can't take on the problems of the world but we sure can pray for our friends and neighbors and loved ones -- name them by name, see their faces in our minds, and lift them up accordingly. Then maybe pass along the request to the other people we know and let God take it from there.

With this in mind, I would like to ask for prayer for a special friend of a friend. I met Kara through Kate quite a few years ago now, before she was a mama. Now she is a mama of 4, and her youngest, Calvin, who is 8 months, is facing dire prognoses and the whole situation is just heartbreaking and truly unfathomable to me as a parent. I won't share anymore here because I know that there are many who may not be able to handle the burden. But please, if you can, and if you feel led to open up your heart to their situation, visit Kara's blog here. Please pray with me that Kara and her husband will be guided appropriately in the days and weeks and months to come, that they will experience peace and comfort, and that mercies will fall upon them like gentle raindrops, easing their hurts and sorrows and pain.

Kara, you and your precious boy are in my thoughts. May you know the peace that passes all understanding. This is my prayer for you.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I like your thoughts at the beginning here. I simply do not have the emotional fortitude to peruse the "www.world" and process all the pain and sadness out there - it's one of the drawbacks of this age of information, I think. It isn't that I don't care about complete strangers - much the opposite: I care so much that it stresses me out, particularly at night or on rainy, blah days when life is burdened already. But when it's someone you know & love...that is something different. Suddenly love begets strength amid all the pain, including strength to do your utmost for that person.
Anyway, blah blah. Just got me thinking. :)

Anonymous said...

This little boy has been on my mind and heart since I read your post a few days ago. It breaks my heart to see children struggle with such difficulties. Shame on me for thinking that my life is hard because I don't have the job I want, the house I want, and so on. I have no problems.

Kara said...

I agree to the fullest. We can never appropriately pray for all those suffering, it's just too much for one soul...but I don't think that's the way God created us to be. It's good to remember we are in a fallen world full of pain, but at the same time there is so much joy and love happening too. Having said that, thank you for caring about Calvin and our family. Thank you for your prayers and kind words.

Well, I'm with Kate, blah, blah, blah ;)